Building knowledge and connections

Fleetwood Building Block

240 W Main St.
Fleetwood, PA 19522
Phone: (610) 944-8385
Fax: (610) 944-0827

Sorry, request for information forms are currently unavailable for this company.

The Fleetwood Building Block Company was founded in 1949 by Herbert D. Adams and his wife, the former Elda M. Krick. The business was located at the rear of 16 North Franklin Street, on the corner of Myrtle and Coal Alleys, Fleetwood. The block business started in a little wooden shed, on the former Charles Schlegel property, with a one-block machine, which was tampered by hand. About twelve 8x8x16 blocks were made in an hour. The first blocks were used for the block garage on the corner of Myrtle and Coal Alleys, which is standing yet today. Orders increased to the extent that a large block machine, with a vibrator was purchased, that allowed fifty blocks an hour to be produced. By this time, orders increased again requiring more production and a new location. A five-acre tract of land on the west side of Willow Valley Creek and West Main Street, was bought from Mrs. Martha Hammond, of New York. Thus, the present location of the company.